Saturday, November 15, 2008

Breakfast happiness

Have you ever had an egg poached so perfectly that you thought - just for a minute - that you could be content eating poached eggs for the rest of your life?

I hadn't, either... until this afternoon.

After dropping my car off to be fixed, we went to Mickey's Tavern for "breakfast" (it was around noon - weekends are for sleeping late), where I had the vegetarian Benedict. I ordered the vegetarian not because I don't eat meat (because heaven knows I love meat), but because the combination of tomato, sautéed mushrooms and sautéed spinach sounded like they'd match beautifully with hollandaise sauce.

They did.

But seriously, the eggs were the stars. The whites were firm but not rubbery, and the yolks... oh, the yolks. Still a lovely golden yellow, and custardy alllllllmost to the point of ooze but not quite. Perfection.

Oh, and only $2.50 for a mimosa. Yum!

No comments: