Monday, March 24, 2008

March Madness

A mentioned in my little "about me" blurb over there to the right, I'm a sucker for good vocal harmony, especially a capella. Like many people of my generation, my first exposure to a capella was the theme song to Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego, performed by a little group known as Rockapella. Of course, this love was rekindled in a big way this past holiday season, when I was introduced to Straight No Chaser - so I was pleased to see them get a mention in an article on NBC Sports about the other kind of March Madness.

Clever. Corny. Captivating. College a cappella is all that. The most-viewed video on YouTube last December was an a cappella performance. Straight No Chaser, an all-male group from Indiana University, had their comic rendition of "The Twelve Days of Christmas" viewed more than 7.5 million times. Go ahead and watch. I'll wait.



I could not get enough of 12 Days at Christmastime. At least 50 (probably more) of the 7.5 million-plus views were me.

Maybe I'm a dork.

Or maybe my dorkitude will be confirmed once I tell you that I now own the DVD. And again when I show you my favorite SNC video:

No comments: