Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Local rant

EDIT: After a discussion on a local message board on which we both post, I no longer believe the guy is a tool. Just didn't want that hanging out there.

------------------------------------------

Today on Yelp, I came across a mediocre review for Sushi Muramoto in which the author said:
If Takara was not in a strip mall next to a dollar-store it'd be my go-to. But for now Muramoto is - somewhat disappointingly - 'it'.
I just don't get this mentality. If the food is good at Takara (which it IS), freakin' EAT THERE. In any city you visit, especially larger ones, some of the best food to be had is available in tiny little hole-in-the-wall places in far worse locations than a strip mall next to a dollar store. He mentions the fact that Sushi Muramoto is in a mall as one of its negatives, but I'm guessing that since he'll deign to go there, a hoity shopping center like Hilldale is a more acceptable location than a dollar store strip mall.

Now, I've never been to Sushi Muramoto, and I don't feel like I need to with Takara and Takumi in the same city.

Oh, wait - Takumi's in a strip mall, too! Granted, there's no dollar store, but there IS a Half Price Books. Darn. Well, wait... there's a Pier 1 there, too - does that make it okay? Dammit all to hell, there's nowhere to get good sushi in this town unless I want to slum it in a mall - whatever shall I do? The sky is falling! The sky is falling!!! Jeez Louise.

It's not my wallet, nor is it my palate the reviewer is taking into consideration, but if I want good sushi (and I ALWAYS do), all I care about is that it's fresh and won't make me sick. Does the peripheral presence of Cheap Plastic Crap as opposed to Overpriced Trendy Crap seriously affect the taste?

I wonder what Bourdain would think of this tool.

No comments: